Monday, April 20, 2009

Field Trip



One of the things that I like best about homeschooling our children is that we can take a field trip without a bus and without permission slips. We have taken a couple in the last week or two. One was to the IMAX theater downtown to watch a documentary about the oceans to conclude a unit on the subject. Friday we took a field trip to Conner Prairie and watched a sheep being shorn and visited some baby animals. It was a great way to teach the boys about the origins of fabric (or at least one type) and their clothing. We were able to follow the process through shearing, stretching of the wool,washing, carding, , dying, spinning, weaving and knitting. Of course, all of this in the style of the 1820's or thereabouts, since it took place at the museum. The boys then went up to a classroom and sat in a circle for some sheep themed stories and songs, a snack and a craft. Although we have chosen to homeschool, I do realize the importance of the kids being able to listen respectfully in a classroom setting, so this was a good opportunity to practice manners. They both behaved quite well, and it was a really nice day for us all.



2 comments:

Memories To Keep said...

Sounds like homeschooling is going well for you. I've been meaning to ask you about it. Josh keeps asking me if I can homeschool him. How long are you planning on homeschooling? I guess it has pros and cons. Good luck, summers here soon. We have 5 wks left! Love and miss you,
Dora

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the kids are really learning alot of practical things! I saw my 1st sheep shearing 2 yrs ago in Canada, so they are well ahead of me on that ;)) Aunty D